History of the Library

Friern Barnet Library first opened its doors in 1937. Designed by W. T. Curtis, the Chief Architect for Middlesex County Council, the building was designed to look like a Tudor mansion set in its own grounds. The library was established by the Carnegie Foundation and later taken over by Barnet Council.

In 2012, the council decided to close the library, but after a vigorous and well-publicised campaign by the Save Friern Barnet Library Group, the Library was handed to the people in a court case, won by the people.

Friern Barnet Community Library is now a registered charity run by trustees and staffed entirely by volunteers.

Photo Archive of the Save Friern Barnet Library campaign